Two National Guard Soldiers Shot Near White House, Suspect in Custody

Omoyeni Olabode

White house shooting

Two members of the United States National Guard were shot on 26 November 2025 just blocks away from the White House in Washington D.C., law enforcement officials said. The attack happened near 17th and I Streets Northwest, close to the busy Farragut Square area. The soldiers were critically wounded and transported to a local hospital. The suspect was apprehended at the scene following an exchange of gunfire.

Authorities identified the suspect as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who reportedly entered the United States under a resettlement programme in 2021 and was granted asylum earlier in 2025. Law enforcement described the incident as a targeted ambush and said investigations are ongoing.

Security agencies quickly cordoned off the area around the White House. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the United States Secret Service and local police responded, and surveillance footage is being reviewed to determine motive and whether the gunman acted alone.

The shooting triggered immediate concern over security in the U.S. capital, especially given the ongoing deployment of thousands of National Guard troops. Many are calling for a full review of security protocols and intelligence measures as investigations proceed. What do you think — should there be stricter vetting for asylum-seekers? Should patrol protocols be revised? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Share to:

Comments

This post has no comments yet.

Be the first to comment!

advertise here

Advertise here

Related Posts

Trump Vows to Halt Migration From “Third World Countries” After D.C. Attack

Omoyeni Olabode-28 Nov, 2025

Trump

Former United States President Donald Trump has declared that the US will permanently suspend migration from what he described as “third world countries,” following the shooting of two National Guard soldiers near the White House.

Continue Reading...
Tanzania Cancels Independence Day Celebrations After Election Unrest

Omoyeni Olabode-27 Nov, 2025

Tanzania

The government of Tanzania has cancelled this year’s planned Independence Day celebrations, citing widespread damage and unrest following the October 29 general election. The national holiday — scheduled for December 9 — will no longer be marked by parades or official festivities.

Continue Reading...
Former President Jonathan Among African Leaders Stranded in Guinea-Bissau After Coup

Omoyeni Olabode-27 Nov, 2025

Good luck Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan is among several African leaders currently trapped in Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that has disrupted the country’s election and closed its borders.

Continue Reading...